Food $ense in schools

I would like to know what core competency lessons you are doing with the schools and what curriculum/handouts you’re using with which grades. Thanks!

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY SUZANNE J. ON 11/25/2008

12 Responses to “Food $ense in schools”

1. Mary Anna Henke says:

Hi SuZanne J.,

I teach WIN Kids Lessons at Delta’s Main Street Community Center twice a month. I also go into Head Start and teach Food, Fun and Reading to the preschoolers. I will be teaching 5 lessons in the head start classroom. I have had to simplify these lessons for the preschoolers. It is going well. I currently sending out a letter to the teachers of our title one schools to let them know about our program and what curriculum I can teach in there schools. Hopefully, I will get a response to these letters. I will email you a copy of the letter to the teachers. Hope this helps.

ORIGINALLY POSTED 12/22/08

2. Mary Anna Henke says:

Hi NEAs;
    In December, I taught the Fruit & Vegetable lesson from Food, Fun, & Reading to the students of Head Start preschoolers in Delta and Fillmore. I made Fruit Kabobs with the students. Prior to the class, I stopped at 7-11 to see if I could buy coffee stirrers to use for the kabobs sticks. They gave me a box for free when I told them that I needed them for a class that I was teaching to make fruit kabobs. I like using the coffee stirrers rather then wood kabob sticks as they are plastic and safer.

ORIGINALLY POSTED 1/9/09

3. Lisa Rice says:

Suzanne, I have been teaching at the Boys and Girl’s Club for the past few months. I have taught first and second graders and am now teaching third through fifth. For the first and second graders I used Food, Fun and Reading. I am using Prof. Popcorn with these older grades. So far, I think I like Prof. Popcorn better. I am excited to start using the Viva Veggie lessons next.

ORIGINALLY POSTED 1/13/09

4. Laurie Bates says:

Mary Anna and NEA’s,

Thanks for sharing your letter that you send out and I think the book marker idea is great. Wanted to let you know that I did the oven baked root vegetables for Feb. Viva vegetables and they are so good, I did them with sugar pumpkin in Oct. and now I add to it with Banana squash and red potatoes, very colorful too.

ORIGINALLY POSTED 2/9/09

5. Laurie Bates says:

Suzanne,
    I just did bread in the bag with the third graders that I have done for 4 years now. It is so much fun for them and I used the food, fun and reading on grains for the lesson part.
    We also used a wheat video for watching during the rising of the bread. This shows where wheat comes from and how it’s shipped to the stores etc. Teacher supplies all of the ingredients except for the recipes in page protectors, small 1 lb bread pans that I get. I also bring measuring cups and spoons to help out with that part too. Make sure you bring Volunteer sheets for room Moms that help and the Teacher.
    I Have also done breakfast lesson with the schools and it’s been very fun. Power panther has a good hand out for it. I also asked if the dairy council could help with supplying the milk and they did.

6. Mary Anna Henke says:

Hi NEA’s,

I just wanted you to let you know about the success I have had with the letter that I took to the Title One Schools here in Millard County. I first got approval from the school principles to put it in the teacher boxes. With in a week of getting the letter out I had 40 new classes. I am teaching all the 1st and 2nd graders at Delta North Elementary and the Preschoolers at Delta South Elementary. I had to let Fillmore Elementary know that I would be able to come to their school in the Fall as my schedule was already full. I am going into each class room once a month and teaching a new lesson of Food, Fun, and Reading. Today, I taught the 2 preschool classes the Grain lesson and after the lesson, the teacher was so glad that she responded to letter and Thank me several times for coming to her classroom to teach. I have the letter written below and if you would like to use it to take to your title one schools you are welcome to use it. I put the first page on our Counti
    es letterhead. My County Extension Agent allowed me to order My Pyramid Bookmarks that I was able to give to the teachers to give out to their students. They were $6.00 for a package of 100 from Health Edco catalog. One teacher thank me for them and told me that she laminated them for her students, so that they would last. Here is the letter:

Dear Teachers of Fillmore Elementary,

I would like to introduce myself, Mary Anna Henke Nutrition Education Assistant with the Millard County USU Extension Office, to you. I am a resource and would like to offer my assistance to you in teaching nutrition in your classroom. I have several program curriculums available that I could bring to your classroom to teach.

1. Food, Fun, And Reading: It is a nutrition and literacy program developed for pre-kindergarten through grade two. Children learn about food and nutrition by having children’s storybooks with food-related topics to read to them and then participating in hands-on nutrition activities. They will also be given a letter for their parents, recipes, and a take home activity with each lesson. There are 5 lessons in this program.
    Lesson 1: If you Give A Moose A Muffin – The Grain Group.
    Lesson 2: Eating the Alphabet: Fruits and Vegetables from A to Z The Fruits and Vegetables groups.
    Lesson 3: COW The Milk Group.
    Lesson 4: Zak’s Lunch The Meat Group.
    Lesson 5: Pancakes! Pancakes! Breakfast.
    Each lesson takes about 40-45 minutes. I would need to know if there are any children with food allergies or food restrictions.

2. Exploring My Pyramid with Professor Popcorn: This curriculum will help young people develop into healthy adults by gaining an interest in eating healthy foods, using safe food-handling techniques, and making physical activity part of their lifestyle. Each grade will explore the My Pyramid food groups, the importance of physical activity, and the Fight BAC! Concepts of clean, separate, cook, and chill.

Each grade has its own emphasis and there are 5 lessons per grade, with the same basic topics per grade:
    Grade 1 Experiencing Food: The smells, colors, and physical characteristics of foods from the various food Groups.
    Grade 2 Enjoying Food: The taste of a variety of foods.
    Grade 3 Exploring Food: Basic nutrition concepts found in My Pyramid, such as variety, amounts of foods, and the food groups. Youth will journal about their behavior. Examples relate to snacks.
    Grade 4 Energized by Food: How food gives us energy, learning about foods by looking at the ingredient labels. Examples relate to breakfast.
    Grade 5 Examining Food: Looking at nutrition in more detail reading nutrition facts label, comparing foods based on their content.
    Experimenting with Food: Conducting various experiments about food and food safety.

The five lesson themes are:
    Lesson 1, My Pyramid
    Lesson 2, Grains (Make half your grains whole)
    Lesson 3, Vegetables (Vary your veggies) and Fruits (Focus on Fruits)
    (Note: In grade 3 and 4, Vegetables are taught alone in lesson 3)
    Lesson 4, Milk (Get your calcium-rich foods)
    (Note: In grade 3 and 4, Fruits are taught alone in lesson 3)
    Lesson 5, Meat and Beans (Go lean with Protein)
    (Note: In grade 3 and 4, Milk and Meat & Beans are combined)

If you would like to call me about the curriculum or schedule a time for me to teach your class, Please fill free to call Millard County USU Extension 864-1480 or 743-5412 or my cell phone 406-4201. I have included a My Pyramid book mark for each child in your class.

Sincerely,

Mary Anna Henke -NEA

ORIGINALLY POSTED 1/26/09

7. Laurie Bates says:

I m feeling a bit lonely on this site! LOL
    I was on the USDA site and looking for the power panther costume and found Nibbles for health as well. This would be a good program for kids and parents. If you are a lucky NEA and have schools in your area that are eligibile you could ask to set up a table at the parent teacher night and take a newsletter and poster to share plus program infomation. It would be great. Also some of the Counseling centers for the state have youth groups that might need some help too.(go to your mental health center and see if they do hold these groups. Have a great week!
    http://www.fns.usda.gov/…sources/Nibbles/Nibbles_Intro.pdf

ORIGINALLY POSTED 4/8/09

8. Michelle Russell says:

I’m here with ya Laurie! ;D
    Thanks for the idea of the parent teacher night~I really like it!

ORIGINALLY POSTED 4/10/09

9. Laurie Bates says:

Hope this finds everyone doing well. I did some school classes with 3rd graders this last week. They are so darn cute. They asked in each of the classes about tomatoes being a fruit or veg. My answer was they are speical and get to be both. There are a few veg/fruits that are that way like
    Pumpkin
    Squash
    Tomato
    Cucumbers
    Green beans
    Capsicum peppers
    Bell peppers
    But, back to the tomato, The United states goverment did make a ruling on the this and said it is a Vegetable. Just a thought and fun
    debate. What have you done with this question?
    children always ask such wonderful questions that us adults have no time to dream of anymore. Thank goodness for them.
    Have a super week.

Oh, and I did clear up the fact that legally they are a vegetable.

Happy teaching!

ORIGINALLY POSTED 3/25/09

10. Michelle Russell says:

Has anyone taught durring the summer lunch/breakfast programs at the school? Any tips?

ORIGINALLY POSTED 6/1/09

11. Laurie Bates says:

Michelle
    I have done the free lunch program for 3 years now. I have used lunch sacks or the my pyramid sacks, I pick a theme like this summer its eating breakfast. I go to USDA site see in resources what is there, might call dairy council see if they have any bookmarkers or something to put in the bags. Then eat smart play hard has a breakfast sheet I would put that in there. With a postcard introducing our program with information, few lessons titles and making sure they know it’s free. With a cute picture of food or something or use the new pamphlet they have now for Food $ense its nice and lots of color. hope this helps the theme has always got me thinking. Good Luck!

ORIGINALLY POSTED 6/4/09

12. Laurie Bates says:

Michelle I also ask the other programs in the office if they have something they would like to put in.

ORIGINALLY POSTED 6/29/09